Blogging whether for fun or business have essential needs and SEO is one of them. SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization,” your FREE online tool that can improve your blog’s web presence. It consists of various techniques and methods, basic and complicated, guaranteed to make your blog or website known to the World Wide Web.
Starting your own blog’s SEO campaign requires basic knowledge and understanding of link building, and most of all, patience. Here’s a few SEO Solutions, Tips and Tricks that can help you jumpstart your own SEO campaign on your WordPress blog.
- Avoid going out of topic. This is a big mistake many blog owners do, especially those who make a living by blogging. Unless your blog is just an online diary that only your close friends and relatives are interested to read, then you don’t have to worry about going way out of topic.
- Keywords in content. This is one SEO tip that has been repeatedly tipped off, suggested, advised, etc., yet many blog owners are still not getting it. If you’re going to squeeze keywords in your article, please make sure that;
a. they blend naturally;
b. always check for spelling and grammatical errors; and
c. do not overdo it.
- Keywords in images. Because search engine bots can’t read images, the “alt attribute” is used to describe images. But keep in mind when using the alt attribute, that it is supposed to describe your image not an “invisible to the naked eye” tool where you can lay all your keywords in. Putting too much keywords inside your alt attributes is considered as keyword stuffing, and bots will see that.
- Keywords in permalinks. When inserting a keyword or two in a permalink, you have to make sure that the keywords you use are related to the page’s content, or else, you will get no benefit from it. It will just be a waste of time if you use unrelated keywords on your permalinks, and probably get no love from search engines for not properly naming your permalinks.
- Remember your headings. H1, H2, H3 to H…x headings are important to search engine bots, so do not abuse it. If your keyword doesn’t fit in the H1 tag, use it in the H2 tag. Always remember that these tags are used to help visitors, so bots do not give value to blogs and websites that are structured specifically for them.
- The All in One SEO Pack. The easiest way to assign different meta descriptions and targeted keywords to your blog’s pages. It’s a free WordPress Plugin that can be easily installed to your blog.
- Social network sharing links/buttons. Put social network sharing buttons on your blog posts, that way visitors can easily bookmark and/or share your content anytime they want. It’s a virtual shortcut in getting more web traffic from the most popular social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Digg, Delicious, Google+, Reddit, StumbleUpon and many more!
- Get a sitemap! Or better yet, get two sitemaps for your WordPress blog. There are free plugins that can generate an XML sitemap and HTML sitemap for your blog, which is very helpful. These sitemaps are designed to help your pages get crawled, read and easily indexed by search engine bots.
- Dot not forget to distribute your RSS Feed. Companies use it to keep their clients informed about the company, and online shops and boutiques use it to update their customers about the latest products or services they offer. You can also use an RSS Feed to deliver fresh information to your readers fast and hassle-free, so utilize it.
- Implement “nofollow” if necessary. If most of the comments you receive are junk, do not hesitate to use “nofollow” no blog comments. This way, spammers will lose interest in dropping senseless comments and unrelated links in your blog comment section.
- Linking to related posts. When some articles are related, they are linked together. This is very helpful to readers and a good way to link to your old posts.
- Recycling old posts. This is an old trick that mostly works if you do it properly. Old posts that are no longer visited but with good rankings can be recycled to make it more interesting again. You can either rewrite a little and then add new information or rewrite the whole thing without straying far from the topic. Make sure to leave the permalink untouched! If you change it, it will just be a newly created page with no rank and unindexed by search engines.
- Ping it! Ping is a free tool used to let bots know you have a fresh content in your blog ready to be crawled.
I hope these SEO Solutions, Tips and Tricks shed some light as to why your blog is not ranking well or why your blog keeps getting penalized by search engines. Always remember that search engines make their own rules, we just follow them. So better make your blog or website search engine friendly or you won’t receive any love from them.