Small online businesses are everywhere these days, and they are not limited to just gadgets, clothing, novelty items and knickknacks. If your business is new or have been around for a couple of years but still not getting that stable monthly or yearly sales you are aiming for, then you are probably not SEOing right or have not done it for your website.
SEO is short for Search Engine Optimization. It is the process of optimizing your website to get a better spot or ranking in search engine results pages (SERP). It’s a very tedious and repetitive task that’s why many clients are outsourcing them these days. Don’t worry about any expenses because SEO is free, all the free parts of online marketing!
Try these simple SEO tips to help your small online business get a better visibility on the web.
This refers to your website. If all you have is a Facebook page or an Instagram account for your business, I suggest registering your own domain, it is much better if you have a real website that people can visit, view your products and get to know your brand better.
1. Use the H1 tag for page titles. It helps your visitors to know what page they are in and helps search engine robots to know what that page is all about.
2. Research for keywords. Using the keyword “novelties” is too broad, why not use “novelty gifts” or “novelty items” instead for your online novelty gift shop? It gives you a better ranking in SERP.
3. Page descriptions are not just for visitors. Keywords are also laid in page descriptions, this helps search engine robots rate your website or a specific page on your site for the relevancy of keywords you are using for its contents. The more relevant your keywords are, the better ranking you will get.
4. Register to Google Webmaster Tools. It’s a free SEO tool for analyzing your website, reports on your visibility on the web and diagnostics for a healthy, Google-friendly website.
5. Register to Google Analytics. Another great free SEO tool for monitoring traffic on your website. With this tool, you can see the number of visitors you have per day/month/year, other sites that are linking to yours and what keywords are driving more visitors in.
Domain Tip: If you do not have the budget for a domain name and hosting, go to WordPress.com or Blogger.com for a free domain.
Off-site optimization, also called link building, is a SEO method for helping your website rank in SERP, increase your brand’s visibility on the web and improve its reputation using other sites. Your small online business will benefit greatly with link building.
6. Get social more often. If you already have a Facebook page for your business, why not add another social media account like Twitter, Instagram or Youtube? The more visibility you have on the web the greater is your chance of getting more customers.
7. Free online directories are everywhere! Make it a habit to register your business online on your spare time.
8. Not all ads are paid. There are free ad sites where you can post your products, try Craigslist.org now!
9. Create your own blog. WordPress.com, Blogger.com and Tumblr.com are great for creative blogs, don’t worry they’re free!
10. Socialize with other blog owners. Join a blogger network and socialize with other bloggers in the same niche as yours. You can even trade links with them by offering an article for their blog with a link pointing to your blog or website.
Link Building Tip: Always add a link to your website when posting your ads, registering to online directories and on your social media profiles. This way, people will know that your business has a real website they can visit and search engine robots can rate you better.
Your small online business will work its way up slowly but surely by using various SEO techniques, and SEO doesn’t need to be expensive. You can do it on your own or by asking a friend or relative to help you.
The time will come that your small online business won’t be so small anymore. The growth of your business will lay more and heavier responsibilities on your hands perhaps that will be the time where you will be able to think of allotting a budget for hiring a SEO specialist. You can start by outsourcing a freelancer in your area or if you’re bold enough, try offshore outsourcing for other types of SEO services.